Hermitage Mill is a Grade II listed structure built by the 4th Duke of Portland.
It started life as a cotton-spinning factory in 1803, and by 1848 was manufacturing high-quality embroidery thread for the world-renowned company, Taylor’s of Leicester.
By 1894, hosiery manufacturers Samuel Eden & Son were leasing the mill,
and eventually bought it from the Portland Trustees in 1912.
However, the mill was sold to Clumber Building Supplies in the 1950s, who in turn sold it to Buildbase. Buildbase ceased trading in December 2008.