The Lancaster County Lunatic Asylum and Lancaster County Mental Hospital, was a mental hospital in Lancashire, England, which closed in 2000 (the mental health departments may have left in 1991, but others remained).
It was opened in 1816 in a building by architect Thomas Standen; a further building, known as “The Annexe” was opened in 1883, designed by Arnold W. Kershaw in Gothic style and is grade II listed as are its walls, railings, and gateways. The hospitals chapel was built in 1866 by E Paley and is grade II listed.
The hospital was a pioneering site for the humane treatment of the mentally ill. The writer Alan Bennett describes his mother’s treatment in the hospital in his memoirs.
Since the hospital’s closure in 2000, the Annexe and chapel have been converted into apartments, and houses are being built in the grounds